Over the past several months, I prepared a series of manuscripts for publication. Some of these papers come from longstanding ideas I've had through several years of teaching. Others are reports on current research projects. Still others are from conference presentations and the remaining are based on CFP's I found interesting. In November I experimented with thirty days of writing and managed to achieve that except for one day. That experiment helped to improve some of my productivity in these areas. Working on publication has been an interesting and humbling experience. Four manuscripts came back with revise and resubmit requests. A couple of those had been rejected previously. It shows me that persistence is a good quality to have. Responding to referee comments and formatting each paper has also been a learning experience. Generally, I've found the whole process to be positive--this despite having to remain calm during the long waiting periods. :)
I'm excited about a few things coming up in the New Year. I submitted a book chapter proposal that was recently accepted and am anxious to get to work on it. I have a presentation at the Jazz Educators Network Conference in Louisville in January and the Rhythm Changes Conference in Birmingham, UK in April. Beyond that I'm working on a poster presentation with a colleague from R.I.T. to give at the SIGCSE Conference in Memphis this March. I'm also working with that same colleague on a co-written book chapter with several others. That's exciting!
Our new Composition for New Media degree proposal is coming along. We had good news this fall on it and I'm hoping that the proposal moves up the ladder in the spring. So far, so good. I'm grateful to my colleagues for their feedback and support in helping to make the proposal as strong as possible. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and will share more specifics as they come up. I finished a duet piece for trombone and vibraphone. I sent that out to a few calls for scores along with my piece "Fall Change" for solo flute. At present, I'm working on a piece for French Horn and hope to have that finished in January.
For those who visit this page regularly, I have updated some of the sections. Publications are slowly coming out. The Journal of Music, Technology & Education article came out in September. My podcast review in the Journal of Radio & Audio Media came out in November and the Leonardo Music Journal-25 article came out on December 1st. I hope to have more updates on that front soon. Lastly, I am making steady progress on my doctorate in educational leadership from the University of the Cumberlands. I took an Inferential Statistics class which was very challenging (at least for me!). I have learned a great deal and look forward to continuing in the spring. 18 credits finished so far. I transferred in 18 credits and am a little more than halfway done. It's been a wonderful experience and I'm thankful for the supportive environment in the UC program. Wishing all of you a very happy holiday season and thank you for reading.